28th July 2020
The communications industry is a revolving door especially if you’ve made the switch from the newsroom into in-house, agency and vice versa. The many facets of careers within the industry requires one to be well-networked and curious. Are big ideas possible in the newsroom and in-house as they are in advertising and PR agencies? When does the networking end? What does stakeholder management truly mean in current times?
The lines between paid, owned, earned and shared are blurring and businesses are increasingly looking for an integrated approach when it comes to their external communications. Coupled with Covid-19, the PR industry, like many other sectors, is being turned on its head. But also, for the first time, the crisis has deepened our sense of camaraderie. Our shared experiences as comms professionals through these unprecedented times has brought us closer as an industry.
In this fireside chat that took place on Wednesday, 22 July, we heard from:
- Tim Williamson, APAC Managing Director of Telum Media, and a former producer at global news outfits, the BBC and Bloomberg.
- Belle Baldoza, Head of Communications (SEA, HK and Taiwan) at AirBnB; a PR agency account manager in a former life, Belle made her first in-house move with a position at Spotify.
- Prisita Menon, Partner & Professional Services Lead at Klareco Communications, held in-house roles in private and public sector previously.
Together, the panel discussed:
- Agency, in-house, newsroom – what can we learn from each other?
- Stakeholder management and how it differs from the other side
- Internal communications done right
- Creativity in the newsroom, in-house and agency setting
- Why relationships matter in this industry?
- Evolving trends in communications the unexpected in 2020?
If you would like to listen to our fireside chat, you can download the audio recording through our registration form.
Disclaimer: Please note that the audio recording should not be circulated with anyone else, and is only privy to the individual who downloaded the recording.
Head of Communications for Southeast Asia, HK and Taiwan @ Airbnb
A strategic communications professional with a passion for brand storytelling and all things pop culture, Belle Baldoza has pioneered and led PR efforts in the region for some of the world’s most innovative global consumer technology brands. Currently the Head of Communications for Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan at Airbnb, she is responsible for driving impactful communications and media relations efforts across the region.
Managing Director @ Telum Media
Tim has more than 20 years’ experience in journalism and corporate communications in the UK, Australia and Asia working at firms such as the BBC and Bloomberg as well as at leading agencies. Since August 2019 Tim has been the Managing Director of Telum Media having been one of Telum’s earliest clients.
Partner @ Klareco Communications
Prisita has spent the past 14 years counselling clients in Corporate and Professional services on their reputational resilience and brand purpose. Starting her foray into communications at a global advertising and public relations consultancy, Prisita maintains a core in creative storytelling and empowering ideas through curiosity. She had held in-house roles in both the public and private sector, that has shaped her benchmark on stakeholder management.